3D Printed Bug habitat

The grade 5 students were given the task of designing a home or habitat for bugs, insects or other living things that inhabit their home or garden. They were required to create a Prototype of a habitat that would be offered as a safe place to stay for the hidden and diverse life aroundthe home.

To ensure students were creating useful innovations, they needed to follow the stages of the Design Thinking Process. The process helped them bring clarity and focus to the design stages. The idea was to problem solving so that their creations were in line with appropriateness and suitability for their audience (bugs around the home) . This involved……

Empathize: They needed to decide on an audience for the 3D object. That included the chosing the kind of bugs or creatures around the home or garden they would design for. e.g. ladybug, spider, beetle, cricket, moth etc.

Define: They needed to outline what the needs of this intended audience would include. They considered what their natural habitat is like. What do they enjoy? What would attract them to the habitat? What characteristics need to be catered for? What problem might there be designing for this audience?

Ideate: In this stage they generated ideas for their objects. Here they needed to be creative and generate solution concepts to cater for their audience. Students needed to push for the widest possible range of ideas to select from, not just find a single best idea, to find the best desing for their bug around the home.

Protype: Here the students began building using the online 3D design program ‘Google Sketch Up’. They decided on which idea they would investigate. They used the tools in the program to start shaping their model of this idea.

Test: This involved students in the class giving each other feedback and choosing from the most suitable designs for 3D printing. Which designs were usable, authentic and had purpose?

• Plus – something positive about your final 3D habitat creation or the making of it.

• Minus- something you think didn’t work well.

• Improvement – something you would improve either in the process of making your 3D Habitat, or the final product. 

on “3D Printed Bug habitat
28 Comments on “3D Printed Bug habitat
  1. ~ Plus ~
    I liked how it had my writing (Snake Hotel) on the front of it. It surprised me how it turned out, only because I have never held a real 3d-Printed object in my tiny life.

~ Minus ~
    I didn’t like how my hotel didn’t turn out the way I designed it to, but you can’t get the things you like in life. I also didn’t like how my hotel had no way to get into it, unless if I drilled a hole somewhere – but that would ruin most of the build itself.

~ Improvements ~
    I wish (if I had more time) I could of tried and made it bigger so it didn’t only have to hold one snake. If I had all of my life to do it, I’d make a hotel for all different types of insects (ants to centipedes) and even have rooms for arachnids to birds!

2. 1. My final creation was really good because of the tools I could use to create my habitat.

2. Something that didn’t work well was the 3D print of my sketch.

3. I would improve on my sketch because i think i could of did better.

3. 1. I really liked how we got to create your own design and then print it as a 3D model which i thought was really cool.

2. I struggled with making my habitat because there was so many options and I didn’t know what design I wanted to go for. I also struggled on making frames for my windows because I had to delete them then create them again.

3. I think I could improve on being more creative because I basically just made a two story house so it looks a lot like a regular house instead of a bug home.

4. 1. My final creation was really good because of all the detail.

5. 1. I think my creation was very good because it had a lot of holes which the lady bugs would like.

2. I think I didn’t work well that how I just put one ramp instead I should’ve put a ramp at every entry.

3. I think I could’ve done more holes so if there’s a whole family of them then they wont be squished trying to get inside.

6. Plus – something positive about your final 3D habitat creation or the making of it. i got to use sketch up
    Minus- something you think didn’t work well. my work was deleting
    Improvement – something you would improve either in the process of making your 3D Habitat, or the final product. make my habbitat more detailed

7. I like how the sketch up site allows a completely free choice design and it was really hard to use some of the tools for the first time and i like the habitat i have designed considering its the first time using this app.

8. Noah and Maison
    We really liked it because you can use really cool features to make it 3D and you can make shapes and edit and delete stuff.

We think i didn’t work well because it was a little bit hard to get shapes to the right size and making anything like a house.

We could improve by learning more tools and trying to get it to the right size

9. 1. I liked learning how to use sketch up and I liked building. I liked building something for the nature and I liked playing on sketch up.
    2. something that did not work well was that it was hard to find out what all the tools were used for.
    3. something I need to improve on learning all the tools and not getting frustrated.

10. 1.Charlie: something positive is that it was fun learning how to use SketchUp which is really fun.
    1.Monique:something positive was that my habitat turned out how i pictured it and also that i learnt how to use sketchup :).

2.Charlie: For me nothing went wrong at all!
    2.Monique: the thing that went wrong was that it was a little bit hard to design the habitat to make sure that a bug could enter it.

3. Charlie: Something i would improve was that next time i would maybe make more layers on my building.
    3. Monique: something i would do next time is add multiple levels so theres multiple entrances and more STUFF! 😀

11. I loved designing our 3D houses it was so fun to experience this i loved choosing what creature i was going to make a house for

I didn’t like how it was not that hollow when it printed.

I think i could use my problem solving and think what a lizard lives in and use it in my 3D habitat and then print it like that

12. Plus: It was really fun to make this and it was quite easy. I am excited to put it in my garden. Sketch up was fun to use.
    Minus: The flash-forge didn’t really print the model the way people made it. the holes didn’t print and it made a couple look really weird.
    Improvement: The next time I use sketch-up and the 3D printers i will ask to use the old 3D printer and maybe not do any holes or circles.

13. I learned how to better use sketch and now i know a app for designing
    the 3D printing didn’t really work well

I could of made a more creative design since mines really basic

14. The 3D habitat is a sturdy object and i love how it is so fun for us and little kids it is so fun to experience it printing and looking at the bug on it.

I think the size and display didn’t on mine and was really small and i had to hot glue 4 pieces together.

I could of improved on the look and details.

15. Plus: I loved how you could change the color or the texture of your model.

Minus: i didn’t really like making it because it was quite hard to use the app so i didn’t add much to the model besides the outside.

Improvement: I liked how mine looks on the outside but I think that i could have added a bit more to it.

16. 1. something positive about my habitat is that the stairs worked out really well.
    1. i find something positive about my habitat is that the stairs came out pretty good.

2. i think that didn’t work as well but got there in the end is that the little handle thing i put on the top of my habitat.
    2. i think something that didn’t work out very well is the handle on the top of my habitat because its not strait.

3. i would improve the shape of it and making doors and holes in it.
    3. it would also be nice to have some more strait lines that i draw.

17. The positive thing of sketch up is that there are lots of different tools to use and things were easy to make
    The minus is that some of the projects on it were hard to get onto 0.00
    It needs to be improved on more colors and detail for your buildings, for more things to add

18. Plus – something positive about your final 3D habitat creation or the making of it.
    Minus- something you think didn’t work well.
    Improvement – something you would improve either in the process of making your 3D Habitat, or the final product.

The positive thing is that you can basically use any shape and make it hollow and 3D, and stuff like that.
    The minus is that they dont print exactly as we desinged them because we had to change the fike for the printer to read it.
    It needs to be improved on more textures and more easy to read for the pictures.

19. Plus:
    I liked how my creation looked like a weird shaped house.

Something that dident work out well is that my house didn’t print out holes:(

The improvement that i could work on is making a habitat without holes.

20. Positive: the positive thing is that you can basically use anything make it holo and stuff like that
    Minus: the minus is that they dont print properly
    Improvement: it needs to be improved on more textures and more easy to read for the pictures
    final product: the final product is not that detailed

21. 1. Something positive about my 3D print is that it was an amazing experience and turned out great.

2. something that didn’t work well was that i was away so i had to just think of something fast to get it done.

3. Something i would improve is that i would want it bigger that what it is.

22. 1. the thing i liked is there was lots of tools to learn. It was all new to me.

2. The thing i didn’t like was that it didn’t really let me make my tunnels Properly.

3. i want to improve my buildings on sketch up to add more details

23. 1 The thing good about it is that its tools are very helpful to create the mini beast house.

2 Something that did not go well were windows that were hard.

3 I would like to improve on the windows and on the door.

24. 1. The creating part was easy on the computer but when it got printed it looked completely different to what I expected for it to look like. The making of it was really fun and it took time and effort with this process cause you can add the detail to it and there was a lot of things you could have mad.

2. Something that didn’t work well for me was the window i tried to make a window but there was no gap for the space. Something else that did not work was my stairs and the fence it connected together so if the bug went up it would led to nowhere.

3. Something that I could improve was how at the bottom and the on the side of the wall it had holes and it caved in. Something i need to improved was my structer my landscape because everything was everywhere.

25. A positive thing about our Habitats in scetchup is that using the push and pull tool is the best and it helps a lot to get a 3d shape with any 2D shape.
    A thing that didn’t work well was putting stars on a round shape and printing windows.
    Something we can improve on is finding a way to use the app without it expiring.

26. Plus- We got to explore all the different tools on sketchup.

Minus- Some times the 3D printing came up a bit messy and some times seperate.

Improvement- The buildings should have more detail.

27. 1. A positive thing is that there is good tools to help us with our animal habitat.

2. A thing that didn’t work well was when we tried to zoom up it wouldn’t let us zoom up. instead of zooming up it didn’t zoom up

3. Something we could of improved on was finding out how to use the tools.

28. -plus- Austin’s and kasiah
    We liked making our products because it all was a challenge for us and it was cool looking at everyone else’s ideas and products.
    We struggled on pushing and pulling our design. It was hard and annoying.
    We could improve our design by adding more detail.