The Life Of Blob – Claymation by Grade 4

This activity began with students first watching Claymation clips to discover what a Claymation is. They saw how this type of animation was perfect for creating the illusion of ‘morphing’. Plasticine was perfect for this purpose as it is easily moulded and can change shape.

Students needed to develop ideas for their animation entitle ‘The Life of Bob’. They outlined their plot in a storyboard. There needed to be at least 4 sequence of events, which ‘Blog’ would encounter. They used cover paper to create backgrounds that suited the scenes in their story.

Once they had completed the plan for the plot, they were ready to develop the animation using the iPad app ‘Stop Motion’. The students learned how to create a stop-motion animation using the tools in the application. They followed the process of capturing images for each frame and adjustiing the speed to create the illusion of a moving image. They discovered that small movements was the key to making an effective animation. Other strategies they learnt to help it look realistic and flow smoothly was keeping the camera and background still.

They discovered that creating an animation can be quite a complex, time consuming process that requires attention to detail and planning. Check them out!

Erin and Scarlett’s Life of Blob-1x40vk4

Jemma and mia-14cs9us

Jackson and Aaron-1vkm80f

Sophie and Sarah-2m31wnb

Blob – By Isla and Aly-2gqo2ji

Blob_and_Bob_at_the_beach-225ucvh

Blob’s experience at the Beach by Tayeh and Elloise-1zmygdv

The_Life_of_Blob kiana and willow-2k32hoa

Life_of_blob – Josh and Ethan-21t3y4hOlivia and Faith-22rtnis

Blob_Burglar_Milla_And_Bella-ri1mf5

Life_of_an_apple Ethan and keira-1sbm7xt

Life_of_Blob Hayleigh and Sarah-19hy824The_long_life_of_blob Chloe A and Luc-23y0dox

Students please reflect on the following….

What tools did you learn in the iPad App Stop Motion Studio?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this type of animation?

What are some challenges you experienced and how did you overcome them?

on “The Life Of Blob – Claymation by Grade 4
26 Comments on “The Life Of Blob – Claymation by Grade 4
  1. We learned how to use the drawing tool to draw on are frames.
    Some advantages were that we didn’t have to make everything we could just draw some things in. Some disadvantages were having to make lots of things out of clay.
    Some challenges were making the things we over come them by only making blob and his friends and drawing the rest

2. The tools that I learnt how to use was the adding sound effects and music.
    The good things about it was actually make it look like a mini movie. The bad things was that it showed a lot of the carpet and it was annoying to edit.
    Some challenges that I experienced was trying to make it as a movie, I overcome it by editing the movie and making it look effective.

3. We learnt that you can use sound effect, theme songs, frames and you can ad images.

Some of the advantages were making the blob and background and the disadvanteges were finishing and sometimes taking photos.

Some challenges were taking photos but we were able to get the iPad to good.

4. We learnt that you can use sound effect, theme songs, frames and you can ad images.

5. I learnt you can use sound effects, theme songs and you can take a photo in between photos.

The advantages are that you can add in sound effects you don’t have to make your own and the disadvantages are if you move you iPad it looks like there is an Earthquake.

There was two challenges they were if you moved the iPad there was an Earthquake and the iPad had this little black spot in the corner we could not really do any thing about the black spot or the Earthquake.

6. We learned that we can add music and sound effects.

The advantages were adding music and adding credits. The disadvantages were making blob fly and making blob land.

Our challenge was to finish our claymation because we were a bit behind but in the end we finished the claymation.

7. We learned that some of the tools in the stop motion app such as the noise and the drawing was very suitable to our stop motion.

The advantage is that it’s almost impossible to use another app so it’s perfectly set out for stop motion. The disadvantage is you have to put a lot of time and effort into the stop motion.

The main challenge was getting the background to sit perfectly but other than that it was quite easy.

8. 1. We learnt to use the drawing tool to add to our photos because you couldn’t have that in real life. We also learnt to add audio to our movie so it isn’t so quiet and it makes the movie have more info about the slide/thing blob is doing.
    2. The advantages are it’s easier to make the movie because you don’t need actors, you just need whatever you can need😊. The disadvantages are that when you have to stop and you’re in the middle of the movie and you need to put it away, you have to move the camera so the next time you need it you have to try to place it back where you last had it.
    3. The camera kept on moving whenever we took the photos but we sticky taped it so it wouldn’t keep on moving like jelly. We wanted music but every time we also added other audio to the slide it would get rid of the music so we just didn’t have a recording of our voices at the start.

9. (What tools did you learn in the iPad App Stop Motion Studio?
    We learned that you can add different types of sound effects into your blobmation to make you creation more realistic.

The advantages are that you can make your own creation from your imagination and have fun while you are creating your work.
    The disadvantages are that there are not as many sound effects as there needs to be for your creation.

One of the toughest challenges were the we couldn’t fit the onion skin to the right frame that we were going to add to our work and the extra audio was very difficult because we needed to get the right audio that would fit our work.
    We overcame our problems by making new choices for our wonderful creation.

By Faith and Olivia

10. I leant about lots of different tools such as voice recordings, music, back dropping and credits.

I think that the advantages of this animations is that it is very easy to make an animation. The disadvantage are that the animations are very fiddley.

My hardest challenge was lining up the pictures when I came back to doing it.

11. I learnt that you can use sounds and drawings to make your animation have sounds and if someones crying you can draw it.

I liked clay mation because you could move your clay around and form different shapes.

A hard challenge that I had was lining up the iPad when your working on it the session before .

12. I learned that you can draw with the tools and add music+sound and put your voice in.

Some of the advantages as making the characters and music adding, the disadvantages were when you tried to add text in the credits page for me and Hayleigh, It was a little annoying to get it on and off.

The challenges were the time limit to get right and also adding the photos by time but we managed it.

13. I learnt to only move the clay a little bit.
    The advantage is you can make the clay any shape and the disadvantage is the clay sometimes don’t stand.
    The challenge I came across is the colour ran out but there was another colour that was kinder the same.

14. I learnt sound effects and how to enter frames and also edit the picture with an editing pencil.

The disadvantages for me is keeping the camera STILL even when you are leaving your media arts session and you get back and you have to use the onion skin and the advantages were adding the sound effects at the right frame.

My challenges were like my disadvantages i have to keep the camera still.

15. There were lots of tools to use like auto photo taker, drawing, recording voices, onion skin and heaps more.
    The good things are you can fold and do cool things with the clay but with other things you can’t. The bad things were that it is hard to realine the camera and the iPad was falling so we had to put sticky tape on the iPads to keep them from falling.
    The challenges for me were all of the disadvantages. Also it was very challenging to record when other people were making noise.

16. We learned how the onion skins and the sound effects work.
    The good things were that we could draw at some moments. The bad things were that we had to use clay.
    The challenges we came across was making stuff with just a block of clay.

17. I learnt how to use draw tools and sound effects
    Some advantages I had is to draw on the screen and some disadvantages were having to make all the clay.
    The challenges that I had were all of the disadvantages. Also it was very challenging to record when other people were making noise.

18. The tools i learned to use was the music and sound effects.
    An advantage of it was being able to draw on the frame instead of making everything out of clay. a disadvantage was starting in the middle of the claymation.
    The challenge i experienced was doing both ideas for the claymation.

19. The tools I learnt to use in stop motion where to drawn on frames, add music and to add sound effects .

The advantages was able to add music and sound effects to are .
    The disadvantages was having to make everything out of clay.

The challenges i have experienced where trying to keep the camera still.

20. The tools I learnt were music, audio, sound effects and themes.
    The advantages were I did not have to make the it all in clay I could draw pictures some disadvantages are it took a long time to take all the frames and making the clay.
    Some challenges were keeping the IPad in place and no letting the carpet show. I overcome them by taping the IPad in place and taping the ground.

21. We learnt to use the drawing tool and music.
    The advantages were that we could draw stuff and not just use clay.
    The disadvantage was the cover of the iPad wouldn’t stay still.
    Our challenges were that the cover wouldn’t get out of the camera we over came this by using sticky tape to hold it in place.

22. I learnt the song,music and theme tools.

One of the advantages were making the movie and the disadvantages were keeping the ipad still.

One challenges were making the clay characters and i overcame it by using my imagination.

23. I leaned how to use sound effects and use the onion skin.
    and the bad thing is that the carpet showed and the good things are that the tools are easy to use and it is easy to understand the tools.
    It was hard to get the shadow of the screen i manged it.

24. Hello great work.

We learn that your work was really great.

I would love to do work like your in media art’s.

I would love to do your work and be you.

Well done Faith and Olivia.