The Row-Ellen Show By Grade 5 – 2017

The Grade 5 students explored the concept of Q and As by presenting an interview in a Talk Show we called The Row-Ellen Show. Devising questions were the focus of this task. Questions help students clarify, wonder, predict, debate, reflect and analyse so their learning has greater meaning, purpose and understanding. By creating their own thought provoking questions, students are learning to build better skills in holding conversations, developing deeper thinking and engaging in reflection.

The Row-Ellen Show required students to research a ‘significant media personality’ to discover the impact they have had on Australian media. Through a ‘Talk Show format’, they would interview the person to depict the person’s personality traits, their strengths/weaknesses or values upheld by their celebrities. Their Q and As would show why their person was significant in Australian media.

We started by observing Ellen from The Ellen Show conduct interviews with familiar personalities. We looked at her questioning style, the purpose of her questions and the characteristics that made her successful at interviewing.

From there, students needed to design their own questions that would help achieve the aim of their interview of a ‘significant media personality’.

Students please reflect on the following:

What are features of a successful interview?

What makes a good question?

If you could interview anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you want to ask?

on “The Row-Ellen Show By Grade 5 – 2017
35 Comments on “The Row-Ellen Show By Grade 5 – 2017
  1. We think that somewone with a good interview involves humor because it makes the people watching intertained.
    A good question is a long question that has lots of details (open question)
    Spongebob…
    We want to meet spongebob and ask him where he gets his square pants!!

2. SIENNA ASH MAKAYLA

The features of a successful interview is that the person to interview has to give eye contact and that can have a great clear voice

Things that make a question good is that it has to have an answer and it has to be a good answer and not a terrible answer.the answer needs to have good information and good detail.

Ash would ask Justin Beiber and would ask him when did you start singing.
    Mak would ask Collins Key and would ask when did you start magic
    Sienna would ask Annie Leblanc and would ask when did you start filming on YouTube.

3. 1. The best features to make a successful interview is on touch cast the sounds to make it better like the clapping and the oohh and aahh. It’s very interesting. Also the humour makes it better, as well as being yourself and natural.

2. I think what makes a good question is for it to be interesting and to have humor and a bit of fun.

3. If i was to interview anyone in the world it would have to be Beyonce Knowles. The question I would ask her is what her aspiration in life is.

4. The features that make a good video is having good expression (we did not have this) and speaking clearly and looking at the camera(we also did not have this).
    a good question has a lot of details and aren’t just povo and can be easily be answered in a interesting way.

5. Well, some great features for interviews are the sound effects, having good expression, keeping your eyes at the camera and be interesting!
    What makes a good question is making sure it is interesting and you understand the answer. Plus, if you want an interesting question, have an interesting answer that some people probably didn’t know about the person being interviewed.
    If I could interview anyone in the world, I would probably interview Dove Cameron (Do Not Know Why!!)-RANDOM ANSWRER!!

6. 1.The best feature for having a good interview is to speak clearly and to have good eye contact with the person also to have an interesting question so the people watching will get entertained.

2.A good question should have lots of details and there should be an answer that is interesting and exciting not just a yes or no question.

3.If I could interview anyone in the world I would interview Jake Paul and ask him how he got famous on YouTube.

7. 1. What makes a good question?
    What makes a good question is that you ask that can be answered with full information and not just yes or no because that will be very boring.

2. If you could interview anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you want to ask?
    The person that i would want to interview is Michael Jordan. The thing that i would ask him is how old were you when you started to play basketball and how many medals have you won?

3. A successful interview is when people ask very interesting questions and the interviewee answers answers questions that are interesting and about a topic that people want to know.

8. 1. Some features for a successful interview is having a good humor, using facial expressions, good questions and answers, speaking clearly and just having fun.
    2. What makes a good question is having good follow up questions and answers and making sure not to say yes or no all the time because that will then get really boring.
    3. The person who I would want to interview is Ed Sheeran. The question I would ask is, what is your favorite song that you’ve wrote?

9. If you ask follow up questions and some effects like clapping makes a good interview. A good question is an interesting question and maybe it could have a little bit of humour to make it entertaining. If i could interview anyone in the world i would interview Ariana Grande and i would ask how her career started and when she started singing and dancing.

10. 1. Some features of a successful talk show are emotion, drama, humor, speaking clearly, interesting questions and answers, using facial expressions, being confident and having fun.
    2. What makes a good question is having interesting follow up questions detailed answers and statements and make sure people would be interested in it.
    3. If I could interview any one it would definitely be the band AC/DC that is the best band in ROCK History to me and i would ask them if my family and I could tour wit them and find out everything about them especially Angus Young the guitarist.

11. What makes a successful interview is humor, borders and titles, tone of your voice, sound effects, clear voices, good Q and A’s.

What makes a good question is being funny, not always a open ended question, facts that people don’t know and interesting questions.

Jacob- I would like to meet Stephen Curry and i would like to ask him were you always good at basketball.

Harley- I would like to interview my favourite you tuber guava juice/Roi and i would ask how many boxes will you make or when will you retire?

12. 1. The key to a good interview are an interesting person to interview and to have interesting questions.
    2. The thing that makes a good question is to research alot about them.
    3. Jess, i would do Nat Fyfe because he is my idle with football and i would ask him how do you get your hair so long,
    Lachie, would interview Don Bradman because he is dead and is the worlds best ever batsman and I would ask him what it felt like getting out golden duck on his last match and needed 4 runs to make his average 100.
    Charli said Stephan curry because he is a basketball legend.

13. 1. The things of a successful interview is humour,creativity, not being nervous, knowing what to say.
    2. Researching the person you onterview so your questions are relevant.
    3. Steph Curry because we just like what he does with basketball.

14. What are the features of a successful interview?
    The features of a successful interview are when the interviewer has good eye contact, speaks loudly, doesn’t fiddle and has good questions.
    What makes a good question?
    A good question is when the question is relevant to the topic, is open-ended and makes sense.
    Who would you want to interview?
    (Sanjeeth) I would like to interview Albert Einstein and want to know how he become smart and which school he went to.
    (Tanmay) I would want to interview Leonardo Da Vinci and ask him what kept you going and what inspired you.

15. 1- The features of a successful interview is eye contact, Loud, clear voices and not an answer that ends in “yes” or “no”

2- A good question that most people asked in this activity is how their career started, and how they ended up with that job.

3- If I could interview anyone i the world it would be Steve Irwin because of how his love of animals grew and why he would do anything to save an animal and kill himself just to save it.

16. 1. Three of the things that make an interview are humour because it would be entertaining, honesty, and confidence.

2. What makes a good question is it needs to be a long question because it would be more detailed.

3. If I could interview anyone in the world it would be you tuber DanTDM and my question would be “since you got the diamond play button what are you planning to do next?”

17. If you want a successful interview you would help to add humour and other emotions or no one will watch it because it would be absolutely boring. A good question is some thing that is interesting and what some one would want to learn or hear abou. If I got to interview any one in the world i would interview Tayla Swift i would ask her how does she come up with her songs.

18. Well to use what makes a good interview is confidence, speaking clearly enough and a lot of humour also good research.

Well what makes a good question is relevant questions and things people have been asking about and are interested in.

Well we want to interview Ellen from the Ellen show we would ask her how she gets her question and also how she gets the interviews and if she loves doing her job also why she dances up the crowd.

19. A successful interview is with confidence and compassion
    A good Question is what people dont often know and want to know what the question answers is
    I would interview LeBron James and ask him what determined him to play basketball

20. The thing that makes a great interview is good eye contact, good volume, expression and speaking clearly.
    A good question is when the audience is interested in the answer and love’s to here what they say.
    Brock- I would love to interview Paul walker and i would ask him what is his favorite movie his been in.
    Kiara- I would interview many people but I chose Nicole Romeo (Famous basketballl player) who i have training sessions with but i would ask which team was he most fun to play against. I would also ask what is the furthest place you have been to, to play basketball.

21. 1.What makes a successful interview is you need interesting questions, lots of confidence, encouragement and facial expressions.

2.Good questions need lots of interesting and descriptive words for every question that can make the person that you’re interviewing talk more.

3.If i was able to have a interview with someone then i would interview Jake Paul and ask him how does it feel like that you have a lot of haters and how are you still moving on with life with a lot of haters behind your back.

22. 1. Making a good interview needs confident attitude and good eye contact.

2. Making a good question needs a detailed question that someone can’t just say yes or no to. It’s called open ended.

3.Corey: i would interview TheDiamondMinecart. and ask him do you love making YouTube videos?

Adam: I would interview my favourite actor Ryan Reynolds and ask him what it was like to film Deadpool.

23. 1. The thing that make a good interview are good questions, good answers and showing emotion in answers and questions.\

2. tihngs to make a good question is to search up the person that you are doing and see what they do or they like and try and put it into a question.

3. phoebe: i i could interview any person in the world the people i would enterview is Jc and Kian.
    Carlin: if i could interview any one i’d interview lebron jamess and ask him questions about his basketball.

24. The features to make a good interview is expression, eye contact, humour, keep looking at the camera always and good questions and answers.
    Making a good question is to do lots and lots of research and to try and get lots of interesting right answers.
    Ella- if I could interview a famous person I would interview Taylor Swift and my question I will ask is what has happened in your life.
    Rianna- if I could interview a famous person I would interview Nicole Romeo and my question I would ask what is her favourite basketball team she likes to play in.

25. To do a succesfull interveiw you need to have cofidence, good eye contact, clear speaking, emotions, and to make it interesting.

To make a good question that you need to make it more then just a one word answer and a full sentence

We would want to interveiw Ms Seira. We would want to know how she learnt alot about tech. and who her favourite student in grade 5 Lehner (Jhett and Hayden).

26. A successful interview is when they are funny and have a clear voice and they show confidence.
    I would interview Paul walker and ask him what if he could drive a car like in the movies.

27. Well we think a successful interview includes great expressions and speaking clearly.
    Making a good question is definitely looking up the person you are interviewing and come up with a good question from your research.
    If we could interview any one in the world it would be Barrak Obama, and we would ask him “how was your experience as being president of the US?”.

28. The features of a successful interview is to do open ended questions.
    Don’t take too long to ask a question.
    If i could interview anyone i would interview Chris Brown.

29. 1. The features to a successful interview are open questions and clear talking.

2. What makes a good question is a open ended and answers that people don’t already know.

3. We would like to interview the creators of the internet Robert E. Kahn and Vint Cerf because the internet gave us lots of things, like jobs quick answers and entertainment.

30. 1. What are some features to a good interview?
    Well you can tell a good interview from the actions of the audience. We added the audience sound effects. Also a clear voices and the confidence to speak loud.
    2. What makes a good question?
    What makes a good question is an interesting and funny questions.
    3. Which celebrity would you interview?
    I would interview Maddie Zieglerto ask if she loved acting in Pretty Little Liars when she walked over bathtub.

31. What I think the best features are speaking clearly, sound effects, speaking loud and sitting up straight.
    A good question makes it interesting and enthusiastic. A question that is unique, that not a lot of people know the answer to.
    I would interview Martin Goodman because Martin created Marvel Studios and I absolutely love Marvel. It’s my favourite game and comic ever in the whole entire world. I would LOVE to meet him soooooo badly.

32. 1.What are features of a successful interview?
    A successful interview is interesting to the audience and not to look at the paper while you are talking the whole time, and to be confident and clear speaking.
    2.What makes a good question?
    A good question needs to be interesting for the audience and makes the person answer in detailed words as well.
    3.Who would you like to interview and why?
    I would love to interview Ed Sheeran because I would love to ask him why did you want to be a song writer and a singer.

33. 1.What are features of a successful interview?
    We think that a successful interview has good questions, something to it interesting and speaking loud and clear.
    2.What makes a good question?
    A good question has lots of information about them.
    3.If you could interview anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you want to ask?
    Alyssa-I would interview Ed Sheeran and I would ask him how many more songs he is going to write.
    Jeron-I would interview Alex that our school met at Code the Future. I would ask how well he’s doing with his coding

34. 1. The features of a successful interview are having emotions, expressions and having confidence in yourself
    2. To make a good question you have to have good research, skills so you can ask good questions.
    3. We would ask rebel Wilson and we would ask her how she got such a big success in movies and media.

35. Questions
    1. What are features of a successful interview? Good Q%A’s and loud and clear voices, also confidents is the main part of a good interview.
    2. What make a good question? A good question is lots of research and a lot of practise
    3. Which Celebrity would you interview? Sofia Boutella because she played in the Movie (The Mummy) and she played really good, and Sofie-Dossi because she doesn’t have a Spine and she is America’s most Flexible girl.