Time-Lapse Drawings by Grade 3

The grade 3 students have been discovering what a time-lapse video is and when they  are useful. They learnt that time-lapse videos are ideal to use when we want to see a change over time. We can see the change happen much quicker.

Students created a time-lapse drawing of a birthday cake to integrate with their study on ‘Celebrations’. The students learnt the tools in the iPad App ‘iMotion’ to create frames that would produce their time-lapsed drawing. They discovered that it was really important to keep the camera still, as well as the paper. They experimented with tools such as ‘onion skin’ and adjusting frames per second. They could choose to capture their frames automatically or manually, depending on whether they wanted their hands drawing the cake, or if they wanted the drawing to evolve as an animation.

Students please reflect on the following:

When is using a time-lapse video helpful?

What tools did you learn when making a time-lapse?

If you could speed up or slow down time in real life, how would that change your life?

Grade 3 create Time-lapse Drawings from Rowellyn Park PS Media Arts on Vimeo.

on “Time-Lapse Drawings by Grade 3
52 Comments on “Time-Lapse Drawings by Grade 3
  1. Time-lapse helps watch something quickly that takes very long. I learnt that the onions skin helps me see the last frame. I wish I could speed up my shower when my TV show Adventure Time is on. I wish I could speed time to when I drive a car, and maybe there will be a Hover Lamborghini.

2. 1.It is helpful using a time-lapse because you could be studying something and its evolution and it would help is it happen in front of you.

3. A TIME LAPS IS HELPFUL WHEN YOU WANT SOMETHING TO GO FASTER.

YOU CAN USE PAUSE , PLAY FAST FORWARD,AND GO BACK.

I would speed up the time when I am travelling in the car for ages.

4. To see things fast instead of seeing things very very slow.
    We learnt onion skin, resume, tools and export.
    I would love to speed up time to learn what is in the future.

5. Question 1:Time lapses are helpful when you want to show an ice block melting but you’re doing it quickly.
    Question 2:The main tool I used in my time lapse was onion skin, which makes a ghost background of the last photo you took,you can only use onion skin if you are using manual because if you don’t it will take photos automatically for you, where as manual you have to take the photo yourself.

6. Vansh and Sienna learnt how time-lapse is useful, you could see something that goes for 2hours in 5 seconds such as clouds going really fast.

7. Austin and Silas learnt: I learnt the feature called “onion skin” if I could speed up anything it would be pain and also time-lapse is useful when say you want to watch a painted wall go dry in faster time.

8. A times lap is helpful for when you want to see some thing but you want to watch it faster.

I learnt to youse onion skin. Also I learnt to save in out box. It is so fun using Imotion.

If we could speed up our running we would be the fastest runner in the world

9. Its helpful for speeding up car rides and being able to see things in slow motion.

We learnt about onion skin, capturing photos in manual, and export.

It would be helpful so you can do writing for a long, long, long time.

10. Question 1.It is helpful to use time-lapse when there is a time that is going really slow so when you use time-lapse it will make a lot faster then usual.

Question 2.The tool that we learnt was the window that deletes all the pictures that your hand are in the photos.

Question 3.It would change your life by say like if you were a kid if you time-lapse you would grow faster then you usually do.

11. time lapse is helpful when you are studying something new and it take’s a really long time but you want to see it really quick, such as an egg hatching.

12. A time lapse is helpful when you are recording something that takes a long time into a short amount of time.

i learnt that a time lapse is broken up into photos and you can see if the camera or I pad moves with using a ghost type of thing,

i would slow down my life because i could have a longer life and longer time in life

13. 1. Using a time-laps is very helpful because you can use Manual or a normal video.
    2. I learnt how to use export, how to put music, tools, faster, and onion skin.
    3. In my life I would want everything to be fast not slow because its sometimes boring.

14. 1. Time laps is helpful when you want to see ice cream melt quickly. the point is it makes thing faster.
    2. Exporting it was very fun and I learnt now thing work on the iPad.
    3.I want to speed up time to when I am 17 years old so I can buy a pug.

15. 1.If something takes ages to watch you can speed it up so fast so it takes like 1 min.
    2.I leant that you can use manuel by taking photos each little bit you draw.
    3.If I could slow down time I will get anything I want and if I could speed things up I will run around the world.

16. 1. We learnt that iMotion can make things faster with time lapse.

2. we learnt that time lapse make s things faster and easier.

3. we learnt that you can change the frames per second we also learnt to use onion skin

17. A time-lapse is helpful because you can take lots of photos over time and see it as a video.

We learnt how to use all of the amazing tools.

18. When is using a time-lapse video helpful? It’s helpful when you want to watch something fast.

What tools did you learn when making a time-lapse? you can use onion skin.

If you could speed up or slow down time in real life, how would that change your life? I would like to speed up today so I can go home and pat my dog.

19. 1.I learn that iMotion can help you watch things go faster and slower.
    2.I learnt how to save my drawing as a movie into the photo library. then I moved it to Dropbox.
    3. I would slow down eating a cake by I love eating cake.

20. 1.It is helpful when you want to take photos of flowers blooming or clouds moving.
    2.The tools we learnt were export, saving to drop box and onion skin.
    3.Go to the pet shop and buy a cat and slow down time so it grows slower.

21. We use time-lapse to make time faster.
    We got to use onion skin to see where we were drawing last.
    If we could speed up time in life we would speed up maths at school.

22. Time-laps is helpful for watching something quick
    I learnt that you can use onion skin with onion skin when so you move the ipad you can just use the onion skin and put it back to were it was before
    If i could speed up time I would speed my self up to 21 year’s old so i could buy a real big motor bike

23. A time lapse video is helpful when you are watching a really long movie you can speed it up.
    We learnt the tools onion skin saving it in drop box and putting music on our videos and we also learnt how to export it.
    It would change your life if you could slow or speed time.

24. 1.if you want to watch something that takes a long time you can time laps it to see it in a video quicker
    2.we learnt how to make it into a movie.
    3 we learnt how to use onion skin so it wasn’t shakey.

25. If you want to see something go fast.
    you can use onion skin to see your last photo.
    I would Speed up the drive going to my aunty’s house. It is far.

26. 1.When it takes a long time to film you can use time-laps to speed it up.
    2.I learnt that i can use onion skin when you stop and you want to keep going.
    3.I want to speed up time so I can be 20 and get my drives license

27. Question 1: Time-Lapse is helpful for speeding up something that takes a long time to do.
    Question 2: I Learnt the tools: Export. Manual. Time-Lapse. Onion Skin.
    Question 3: If I Could Slow down time, it will be to play the game Sly Fox and staying still when the fox looks back. And I Would speed up time to go to Sale quicker.

28. It can speed up things that would usually take a long time.

I learnt how to save into drop box and how to use onion skin.

I would speed up time so my birthday is every day.

29. Time-lapse is helpful for speeding up something that takes a long time to watch.

In time-lapse we learnt to use onion skin and to transport it into drop-box.

If I could speed up time I would speed it up to my next birthday.

30. Question 1: Time-lapse is very helpful for speeding up time

Question 2 : We learn’t to not move the paper and camera

Question 3: We would stay young forever so we can get what we want

31. 1. I learnt to do the onion skin a ghost of your cake comes up and put it straight on the same position.
    2. you can youse manual witch takes photos without you taking it and you can also do you can take the photos.
    3. another one is you can delete the pictures with your hand in it.

32. 1. Changing time would be helpful when I need to eat dinner in the middle of my favourite show.
    2. I learnt to use onion skin when I wanted to fix a mistake, I also learnt to delete my hand.
    3. when I go on a long drive I would speed it to ill be home straight home

33. 1. I learnt to do the onion skin a ghost of your cake comes up and put it straight on the same position.
    2. you can youse manual which takes photos without you taking it and you can also do it so you can take the photos.

34. I learnt to speed things up using frames per second.
    I learnt all the tools in iMotion and the features.
    i wish i can speed the days along when they are boring, but on good occasions slow it down

35. Question 1: Time laps is helpful you are waiting for something to see it change and you can use it to speed it up.

Question 2: If you don’t finish the first time making it you can youse onion skin to start where you last left off.

Question 3: If I could, I would speed up a long drive like a 4,5 or 6 hour drive.

36. 1. Time laps would be helpful when I need to eat dinner in the middle of my favourite show.
    3. when I go on a long drive I would speed it so I’ll be home straight home

37. 1. I learnt how to do onion and how to do delete one of the slides.
    2. I learnt the tools .Export time lapse onion skin.
    3. if I could slow down time I want to do eat ice cream forever.

38. Question 1: time-laps is helpful for speeding up a video quickly or slowly for however you want it to go.

Question 2: the tools I learnt in Imotion were the onion skin: to line it up to continue your project and i learnt how to put music in it to.

Question 3: I would like to slow down time when I have specialist classes because they are fun classes.