Mindful of Feelings by Grade 4

Grade 4 students took the time to focus on ‘feelings’, and discussed situations they associate with certain emotions. Being aware of their emotions can help students be mindful of how to respond constructively, so they can stay in control of a situation. They considered strategies to help with certain moods. Examples students said included drawing a picture to help get frustrations out, breathing slowly, playing music, talking to someone etc.

They spent time tuning in to body language and facial expressions to help them understand  feelings in more depth. Being aware of how our bodies react to certain situations, such fear or danger, allows us to respond accordingly.  I wanted to have students think about what their bodies might do in certain situations. For example, sweaty palms, racing heart beat, red cheeks etc.

Students then demonstrated certain feelings through body language. Using an iPad App called ‘Clone Camera’, they were to take photos of themselves showing different feelings through different expressions. They cloned themselves 4 times to show 4 different emotions.

They used Adobe Spark Post to enhance their ‘Clone Photos’ with text options, layouts and effects to further represent the emotions in their photos.

Take a look at students being mindful of their feelings……

Student please respond to the following:

Watch the video ‘Kids Explain Mindfulness’ and answer the questions:

What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?

Describe a situation when you were feeling in the ‘Red Zone’ and what you did to find your ‘Green Zone’.

Eadie-29jo7jy

on “Mindful of Feelings by Grade 4
31 Comments on “Mindful of Feelings by Grade 4
  1. When you are felling in the red zone you could colour, draw, sleep, punch a pillow, breathe, do something you love or maybe hug your family or friends.

When I was in the red zone because of my brother being really mean to me I simply went out side with my iPad, played my favourite music and jumped on the trampoline.

2. To calm my self down I would grab a pillow and hang it on the roof and punch it.

When I punch my pillow I punch I get my frustrations out safely and helps me get calmer every time.

3. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?
    You could find the positive feelings inside you because feelings matter.
    I was really mad at one of my friends for kicking me in the belly and then I yelled at her but when I started colouring and singing and that made me feel better

4. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?
    You could read a book or you can talk to someone you trust about it or you could punch a pillow.
    Once I was in the red zone when my friends kept on bossing me around and I got into the green zone I just walked away and went and played with my other friends.

5. Some strategies when you are I the red zone is walk away, take a break, talk to someone.

When my brother kept on annoying me I walked away and went to play my iPad.

6. Some strategies are to notice what your feeling are and to calm down some other strategies are think about your sad or happy times.
    When I was in the red zone I got my sister and she gave me a hug and other ones are said sorry to my mum and gave her a hug.

7. Some strategies are to notice your feelings and take deep breathes to help you to calm down or try and keep control of your feelings.
    Once people were annoying my and I got really angry so I ran away to read a book to help myself calm down.

8. You could find the positive feelings inside you because feelings matter.

9. When you are feeling in the red zone you could take 10 deep breaths, colour in a mindfulness colouring, punch a pillow, or talk to your family, friends or your teacher about the situation.

When I was feeling in the red zone because someone was talking about me behind my back I talked about the situation to my family and my teacher.

10. 1. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?
    I could punch a pillow and put all may anger on it, talk to my family and friends or take 3 deep breaths.
    2. Describe a situation when you were feeling in the ‘Red Zone’ and what you did to find your ‘Green Zone’.
    I was angry that I fell but I got up and took 3 deep breaths to find my green zone

11. Some strategies to get out of your red zone is to hug a pillow or hug a family member or if your angry at school tell a teacher or sit out for a little.
    A red zone moment was when my mum or sister annoyed me how I got out of the red zone was hug my pillow or hug my mum and sister.

12. 1. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?

13. Some strategies for when you are in the red Zone are to take deep breathes or do a mindfulness colouring.
    People were annoying me and I got angry so I ran away and read a book and then I felt calmer.

14. What are some strategies that you can use when you’re in the `Red Zone`? When you are feeling like you’re in the `Red Zone,` some strategies that you can use are; reading, colouring, sleeping or going for a walk. Describe a situation when you were feeling in the ‘Red Zone’ and what you did to find you’re ‘Green Zone’. A situation in my life like that was one time, I was frustrated with a game that I was playing at home on my computer, and what I did to be in the green zone was that I stopped playing the game and played another game.

15. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the ‘Red Zone’?

You can use PBS-pause, breath and smile. You can also close your eyes and rest. Also you can count to ten.

Describe a situation when you were feeling in the ‘Red Zone’ and what you did to find you’re ‘Green Zone’.

When I was in the red zone I was so angry so I sat on the couch and ate a mandarin and I was in the green zone.
    When I was in the red zone I felt really mad so I sat down on the couch and went to sleep.

16. Some strategies to calm down are to have a stress ball to squeeze or maybe some mindfulness music or colour in pages or the best way is to do things that make you happy.
    Once I got frustrated at my friends and yelled, I walked away to be alone and thought about what happened and how I can fix it. So I walked back over to my friends and apologised for yelling at them and told them I shouldn’t of done that and we talked about the problem and then it was all good and we were all in the green zone. Hooray! 😜

17. Something’s you can do while your in the red zone.

1. PBS (Pause Breath Smile)
    2. Sit down and try to calm your self down.
    3. Use a stress ball if your under a lot of anger and stress.
    4. Laydown and listen to soothing music.
    5. Laydown close your eyes and relax.

18. Good Feelings –
    Happy: When I’m happy I play with my friends, I jump around, I don’t know what else I do!
    Exited: When I’m exited for something I jump around, do cartwheels, see my mum & even say & listen to jokes with my friends or my mum!
    Not so great Feelings –
    Angry: When I’m angry, I usually play on my iPad, do cartwheels outside, lay down or even have a snack!
    Sad: When I’m sad, I read a book, do cartwheels, hug mum or even just have some fresh air!

From Hayley Christine Peatt!!

19. Some other strategies I use are hugging your relatives or friends and you can do something you love or dance and sing.
    I have once been so annnoyed at my sisters that in slammed the door and ran outside but when I got out there I danced and sang to myself to calm down 😉

20. Some other strategies I use are hugging your relatives or friends and you can do something you love or dance and sing.

21. When I’m mad I go in my room and breath until I’m calm.
    I also go on my Xbox and play games.
    Some strategies I can use when I am in the red zone is go into my room and breath in and out.
    Kayden and Bodie

22. What are some strategies you can use when feeling in the Red Zone?
    Sometimes use can use a strategy called P.B.S it is Pause, Breath and Smile. It can make people very calm and relaxed. Another strategy is to stop, breath and walk away, be calm and don’t let your feelings control you in a situation don’t yell or do anything s just think and be calm.

Describe a situation when you were feeling in the ‘Red Zone’ and what you did to find your ‘Green Zone’

When I was feeling in the red zone I just stoped and thought about what my problem was and told my trusted adult ‘ my mum’ and she gave me ideas of how to fix it and to just be calm and talk to the person about it.

23. What can you do if your in the ‘red’ zone? What I do is read a book, play my iPad, colouring in sheets, have some fresh air or anything like that! An example is if you’re angry about something or someone, do something else or play with someone else!!

By Hayley Christine Peatt, 4 Hunt!