Vinyl Record Labels by Grade 5

Takashi Ogino via Compfigh

After writing and recording a rap to send a message that ‘Content Creators Matter’, the grade 5 students then designed a vinyl record label for their song. They came up with a band name and song title to add to their record label. They were then ready to start designing.

They used the online drawing application called ‘Pixlr Editor’. They spent time learning the tools and what was possible. They looked at other Vinyl Record labels as inspiration for their own label. They were required to think about the style they wanted to achieve in their label. For example, Vintage, Modern,Contemporary, Classic, Retro etc. They were asked to consider colour, layout, typography and images/symbols to achieve the desired style they wanted.

Once they had an idea, they played around with options and possibilities. Take a look at some of the results…..

By Aasrith

By Emil By Jacob By Jade By Jasmine By Levi

By MiaBy Billy

By Jack M By Jeron By Judah By Jade By Shaylee

By Zac By HarisBy Joana

Students please reflect on the following:

• What style were you trying to achieve in your design and do you think you achieved it?

• What helped, or didn’t help, you create the design you wanted?

• What are some tools you discovered in Pixlr Editor?

• Go to this website about ‘The Power of Colour’ in design. https://www.gcflearnfree.org/beginning-graphic-design/color/1/. Read some facts and watch the video about colour and design.

• Write 3 facts about Colour that can help you when you design something, like a label.

on “Vinyl Record Labels by Grade 5
44 Comments on “Vinyl Record Labels by Grade 5
  1. What did you achieve?
    To be honest i thought it would turn out bad because i couldnt really use pixlr but turns out I made it this really cool marble pattern which got on the blog (2nd one)
    What helped me create the design?
    For my marble black and white pattern I made it full black and used pencil and with the pencil I randomly scribbled to make it match the title Black Rides West.
    What tools I discovered?
    Once again i discovered pencil and one of my fav was bucket fill which took me a while to find when it was right infront of my eyes!
    Facts:
    1. You can make text boxes with really cool fonts and lots of creative detail.
    2. What i really loved was pencil. It’s a really cool detail that was a choice to use.
    3. Bucket fill was very cool although its pretty basic, but one again added more detail and was easier then getting a pencil and rubbing out your mastakes. 🙂

2. 1. I was trying to achieve a disco type of theme on my disc because I think it looks bright and colourful to make it stand out and I thought it looked really cool.
    2. The pixlr editor tools really helped out because there were really cool themes and filters, but what didn’t help in the session was that it was hard for when you found a filter you really like and then when you use it and you forgot to add something you click out of it, then you forget where the filter went.
    3. There were really cool filters and tools in pixlr editor but my personal favourites were, the sticker tool because it came out like a disco even more then there was my other favourite tool which was the spray paint tool because it looked like it was glowing.
    4. When you mix the primary colours together it will make even more colours, I learnt that there are colours everywhere we look, and I also learnt that you can never make up a new colour even how hard you try!

3. 1. I was going for a sort of futuristic design and it worked pretty well… its alright.

2. The drawing tool helped me actually a lot because I didn’t know how to add the lines with out the drawing tool.

3. I discovered the shape tool, drawing tool, burning tool and the blurring tool.

5. Colour can make your design look more effective, creative and a lot better!

4. I was trying to achieve an outer space type of look and I think I achieved it.
    The stars utensil helped me out a lot because when i was looking through the menus i couldn’t see any stars until i came to that utensil.
    some tools that i discovered are the wand tools and the lasso tool.

5. 1. The designs that we were trying to achieve was a disco type of look.

2. What did help us was all the tools. And what didn’t help us was the shapes because it was very difficult to use.

3. The tools we discovered was smudge, paint, party popper, sponge and text.

4. A. How to figure if the colours match or not you use colour theory.
    B. Hue is another word for colour.
    C. Value has to do with how dark the colour is.

6. I was trying to achieve an interesting galaxy disco look for my disc. I think i have achieved my disc and it turned out better than i thought it would.
    I think it was hard to make a disc on the computer because you have to make very little movements. I think that having the star shapes already being made for me to use was very helpful and saved a lot of time for me.
    Some tools i discovered on Pixler editor is how to change the color and make different shapes appear on my disc.
    We need color in the world it is used to communicate without talking.

3 facts about color that can help me design something like a label is that when you add color it makes it pop like lighting striking. It also let you communicate without saying a word like a green face with a smile is obviously meaning happy. It also makes writing easy to read and see.

7. 1. I was trying to get a cool and funky looking record.
    2. It was a bit hard to find the right tools and making another layer.
    3. I discovered a new tool which was layers.
    4. 1. Colour can make people feel happy. 2. It can tell you without using words. 3. We can see what colours go together and colures that don’t work out.

8. 1. I was trying to get a cool and funky looking record and I did achieve it
    2. It was a bit hard to find the right tools and making another layer and to use the whole program.
    3. I discovered a new tool which was layers and to add new stuff you had to make another layer.
    4. 1. Colour can make people feel happy. 2. It can tell you something without using words. 3. We can see what colours go together and colours that don’t work out.

9. 1. I was trying to achieve to have a colourful disc and i think i did achieve it.
    2. I wanted to put some pictures on my disc but it did not work so it really did not work.
    3. The tools on the site i discoverd was how to undo,redo,write,erase and also how to get back or save my work.

3 facts about Colour that can help you when you design something, like a label.

1. colour is important because it communicates on the road as a signal for the cars to go or stop without talking.

2. Colour is something that gets your attentions and all emotion like when you are wearing clothes you can like tell which colour maches and which don’t.

3. Colour is also something that you can mix with another and it will turn out as a another colour which is very cool and can be used in alot of different ways and also styles.

10. Josh: I tried to achieve classic, and I think I did a great job.
    Nirav: I tried to achieve retro style and I think I did a great job but I think I could’ve done a better job.
    Us: It was hard making the circles but we did it, all the different types of tools helped us.
    Us: We discovered how we could change the texture of how it looks and we discovered how to make different types of layers and colors.
    Us:
    1. Color’s can change different types of emotions and ways you look at things.
    2. Color can help us in the real world such as traffic lights and it can help us by keeping us safe.
    3. You can mix different types of colors to make other different colors.

11. Cleo- I went for a more modern style and I think it worked out well. Dakota- I went for a modern mixed with retro style I think our style turned out great!
    Cleo-I think just looking at all other people’s designs helped me see what i wanted to do. Dakota- Looking at other designs and giving me inspiration.
    Cleo-Drawing and shapes and a whole load more! Dakota- Shapes text and drawing.

12. I tried a devil but it just didn’t fit. i just went with a simple face.
    What helped is that pixlr worked but there were facial errors…
    Some tools I discovered where shapes and pencil changing.

13. We tried to do a cool scribble and we achieved it.
    What helped was how you could choose the different shade of colour. We discovered the shape tool. Colours come in differant shades and they are nearly everywhere. If you mixed some colours it would make a different colour.

14. 1. (Liv) My style was hoping to turn into galaxy, it turned out pretty well and looked more like galaxy when I made a few changes.
    2. (Soph) One of the things that helped was that you could insert a circle you didn’t have to draw one and one of the things that didn’t help was that there were layers so if you did something wrong and you forget to add a new layer it is hard to delete.
    3. (Liv) the one thing that I discovered in pixlr edit is that you can splash paint on the record and make it a colorful design. You can make circles, wiggles, zig zags and all types of things it’s so fun to play with.

15. I was trying to create a nice purple and blue pattern and I think I achieved it. (number 4 from the top)
    The smudge tool helped my create a nice pattern.
    I discovered the smudge tool and heaps more.
    Everywhere you look is color.

16. Jake and Jacob tried to make a basic style that turned out alright but not as good as we wanted. Harley on the other side did a successful devil creation.
    What helped us a lot was the shaping creator and the title tool but what was hard for Jacob and Jake was the painting and pencil creator
    We discovered the smudging tool that made everything get smudged and the undo tool that was very useful.
    There is two different colors in the power of colour called hue and saturation.There is a color wheel called Monochromatic that has all the different colors in it and the last thing that helps is all the different primary and secondary labels for all the colors.

17. 1. Aasrith: I really achieved my punk rock style on my record label. Sanjeeth: I achieved my style of having the band name spray-painted on the label.
    2. Sanjeeth: The smudge tool helped me a lot to achieve the smudge. Saving it as a picture didn’t help because you can’t edit the text. Aasrith: The smudge also helped me a lot to get the fiery texture on the top, middle and bottom of my label. The dodgy pixels did not help.
    3. Aasrith: The tool that were surprising was the label photo shop graphics really made it bold. Sanjeeth: The tools I didn’t know that were the ‘bandage’ and ‘magic’ tools.
    4. Sanjeeth: 3 facts about colour that can help me are- complementary colours, triadic colours, and hue. Aasrith: The three colour elements that helped me were saturation, hue and monochrome

18. 1. The style I was trying to go for was a dark record label and a bright symbol so I did achieve my goal after i found out all of the tools I had to use.
    2. What helped me create my record label was pain brushes because if i didn’t know that tool then I would have struggled a little bit.
    3. On filter a I used night vision i leaned both of those tools I also learned blur, and smudge.
    4. What I learnt on colour was when you blend the main colours on the colour wheel together you can keep on making more and more colours.

19. 1. For my look for my disc I went for a cute kawaii pastel look, so people would feel happy. My look didn’t turn out that bad, it was ok.
    2. What helped when I was creating was probably the colour schemes and smudge tool, what didn’t help me was when I accidently pressed the “bloat tool and eraser”. Otherwise it was really good.
    3. Some tools I discovered were the “pinch tool” it may not be the best tool but it is still really useful in some ways. It helped making the outline of the two separated colours.
    4. I learnt what hue, saturation, and value. I also learnt the different ways to pick colours on the colour wheel. Another thing is if your colours fuzz you just need to do different lighting.

20. 1. The type of style I was trying to achieve was adding some music symbols and cool writing and I feel like I did achieve that.
    2.What helped me to create the design I wanted was using all the tools in Pixlr because at the start I had no idea how to use them until now.
    3. Some tools I discovered in Pixlr was the night vision filter, all the different shapes and the layers because I didn’t know why they were on there until I figured it out by using it.
    4. I didn’t really know all the colors until I watched the video and now I do know them. Also I didn’t know that many colors can make different ones. And that I learnt the color wheel.

21. 1. Well mine and Bella styles that were trying to make was rock. We think we managed to make it rock style. We tried really hard to design it in this style.

2. Well Jasmine helped me, and the smudging tool also helped me. What helped Bella was the paint bucket and the text writing also helped Bella.

3. One of the tools I discovered was the smudging tool and the shape tool, also the colour tool. What helped Bella was the shape tool , the paint bucket the paint brush.

4. We learnt how to mix completely different colors and we learnt all the different shades. Also we learnt that there are all different colors around the world.

22. 1. I was trying to achieve a two colour disc that looked really cool but it did not work out very well. Now I just have a black and white disc.
    2. The burn tool helped me out a little to make it look really cool. Also the paint bucket helped me the most because it filled the disc without filling the background.
    3. I discovered the burn tool the shape tool and the blurring tool.
    4. Hue, saturation, and value are all everyday life colours. Secondary colours are two primary colours put together. Everywhere you look there is colour.

23. Hi im lachlan
    1. Yes I did achieve my design
    2.The whole thing was kinda hard to work with.
    3.The sponge tool, the blur and the unblur 🙂
    4. The link does not work for this internet
    5.I dont know any facts to help

24. 1) My look on my record was to make it look like it was in space and out of this world and I think I achieved it. I was going for a ROCK & ROLL style. I think I did achieve it.
    2) The shape tool helped a lot when we were drawing stars it also helped when we were making a background and while making pictures.
    3)We found blur, pinch, shapes, different paint brush tips and pencil tips and color picker.
    4) The tone of the colours matter because you don’t put black and white on a sign for puppies, when you mix primary colours it helps you create other colours and sometimes you don’t need colour at all.

25. We were trying to achieve a disco/rock type of vinyl record label and it turned out pretty well.

What helped in the project was other people sharing and giving great ideas which helped create our fantastic labels.

Some of the tools we discovered were about different layers, brushes and pencils.

Fact 1: Hue is another word for colour.
    Fact 2: Colour theory is how to know what colours go together and what don’t.
    Fact 3: saturation is how vibrant or subtle the colour is.

26. The design that both Rianna and I were trying to achieve was a disco type design. I think that we both achieved the style that we wanted to.
    The thing that helped Rianna was the smudge tool as she used it a lot. The thing that did not help Rianna was that she was away one day and she did not know what to do.
    The thing that helped Kiara was the bucket fill tool as I used it a lot. The thing that did not help Kiara was that I couldn’t get back my design but I eventually got it back.
    The tools that we discovered was the smudge tool, the bucket fill tool, the colour tool, and the text tool.
    The first fact about using colour is that it helps you talk about what style your label can be.
    Next a good thing that can help you is that colour can show emotions about what you feel for different things. For example I might send a colour that shows what I feel about copyright.
    Also to know what colours match and what don’t helps for designing something like a label.

27. I was trying to do a galaxy kind of look and I achieved that look by putting stars and moons on my label.

The blur tool helped me get a shooting star look and what didn’t help me was that i couldn’t really see the writing.

I discovered the tool bubber, it helped my with my moon.

28. My disc design was electrode and i achieved my design.
    What helped me create my dics was the element like blur, shapes and pencil sketch.
    I discovered the oval shape maker that make squares, ovals and circles.

There are many amazing kinds of different colors that’ll matchup from one to 3.

Monochromatic is a color that is a simple one that is only one color to create different saturations plus guarantee to match.

Analogous is colors that are next to each other and colors are able to match as well.

29. My disc design was electro and I achieved the design I wanted.

There are many amazing kinds of different colors that’ll matchup from one to 4.

Monochromatic is a color that is a simple one that uses only one color to create different saturations.

Anagolas are colors that are next to each other and colors are able to match as well.

30. I was trying to achieve a disco look on my vinyl record label but it did not turn out how I wanted it.

Ella. On my vinyl record label I was trying to achieve a Hollywood Disco kind of style. I didn’t really have an idea of what I was going to do but I like the result.

Hannah.
    The eraser, paint bucket and paint brush helped us but the text and pencil did not help us that much because it was difficult to use the pencil and you couldn’t move the text once you typed it up.
    We discovered that you could design your own paint brush style to how you want it. Colour have lots of shades and lots of different colours go together. We learnt that value makes lots of shades of the one colour ranging from light to dark. Saturation is how dense or tense the colour is.
    When you use colour in things like labels, you need to use colours that go together to understand what the pictures is.

31. Matt – I went for a retro look for my label and I think I did an ok job for the look. By looking at other record labels in the retro style I saw some colours that I could use for my one. I discovered that you could select the exact colour to draw with from a colour in my current label.
    Danijela – I went for a kids type of style. I think looking at different records labels helped me think of a design of my own .I discovered that the bucket tool fills up the whole thing and that on pixler editor you can draw and do all of the cool stuff.
    3 Facts – Value will always have black and white in it, if we use two colours and put them together we make a new colour and different colours have different effects with each other.

32. 1. (Diana) I was trying to achieve a colourful effect and I think I achieved the colourful effect.
    2. (Diana) the tools that helped me achieve my look is the shape icon, the colour icon and the colour.
    3. (Kairi) I discovered air brush.
    4. (Kairi)
    4a.Colour can change someone’s mood.
    4b. primary colours can make any colour
    4c. it can tell you important stuff without speaking to you.

33. 1.I was trying to achieve a colourful disc and i think i did a good job of it.
    2. The thing that helped was that I got some help through out the making of the label and what didn’t help is that I haven’t used pixlr editor before.
    3.The tools I discovered was that you could use bucket fill, a rubber, and a colour option.
    4. 3 facts is that colour can talk to you with out using a single word, Hue is another word for colour, Colour theory is how to know what colours go together and what don’t.

34. I tried to have a blue background and different coloured writing and I did achieve it. The thing that helped me achieve my goal is the text box. In Pixlr I discovered a rubber, a text box and a paint brush. Yellow and blue make green blue, and red make purple and yellow and red make orange.

35. We tried to achieve a galaxy sort of look but it was to hard so we did not achieve that.
    The things that helped us was the paint brush and the pencil.
    the new tool that we discovered was how to layer.
    3 facts
    . It can make you fell confident.
    . If you mix lots of colours you then create a colour wheel.
    . Black grey and white are good to use cause they really bring out your colour you use.

36. I was trying to achieve a colourful label, I think got a pretty good label.
    The sketchy tool ( pencil ). It helped me make it look really cool.
    I discovered the sketchy tool in pencil.

37. I wanted to make my background black for a plain and I achieved it. I discovered a rubber a text box and a paint brush. The thing that helped me is the text box. From the video I learnt yellow and blue make green, blue and red makes purple, and yellow and red makes orange.

38. Clavea: The design that I was trying to achieve was pop art style ‘because it would’ve had a great effect. The tools that helped me were the paint brush, shape brush and colour icon. I’ve also learned how to use layers. Value means that it’s either closer to black or white and saturation means that more suttle or vibrant.

Chloe: The design that I was trying to achieve was galaxy because it reminds me of quietness and stars. The tools that help me was paint brush and the colour icon. Value means that it’s either closer to black or white and saturation means that more suttle or vibrant.

39. 1. I was trying to get a retro nuclear sort of label.
    2. I think the sketchy pencil really helped me a lot because I got a new effect.
    3. I discovered sketchy pencil, word art and airbrush.
    4. Colour can represent different feelings, actions and personality.

40. 1.I try to make it funky
    2. it took me a long time to draw.
    3. i found out that i could make shapes instead of drawing it. I found a rubber to use when i do a mistake.

41. Savannah: My style was arty because our song that my team and I made was called ‘Art of the Art’ and I achieved the style that I wanted and happy with what I did.

Jasmine: My style was fun and playful and colourful. I achieved it by working hard to get my job done and now I am happy with what it turned out like.

The thing that helped was getting time to work out all of the tools in Pixlr editor and finding out how to do it.

Fact 1: yellow and blue make green and blue and red make purple/
    Fact 2: complementary colours are always opposite on the colour wheel.
    Fact 3: some people have skin colour but instead of saying skin colour you can also say hue.

42. |Jacob -I was trying to achieve a half half, where there was white on one side, i put black on the other.
    |Paul -I was trying to make a red flaming disc and I think i succeeded making a red flaming disc.
    |Jacob- The thing that didn’t help was that mine was too small at first and then I got it right. It was printed but it was a tiny bit bigger than the vinyl record.
    |Paul- the thing that helped me create my design was the circle shape so that it can help me fit it onto the vinyl record.
    |Both- Smudge, fill, shapes, zoom, erase, and more
    |