Grade 5 Students Work Through The ‘Design Thinking Process’

The grade 5 students were given the task of designing a toy or classroom object for a toy company, which has recently hired them. They were required to create a Prototype of a toy or classroom object that was original and had an intended purpose. To ensure they were creating meaningful innovations they needed to follow the stages of the Design Thinking Process. The process helped them bring clarity and focus to the design stages. The idea was to problem solving so that their creations were in line with appropriateness and suitability for their audience. This involved……

Empathize: They needed to decide on an audience for the toy/classroom object. That included the age, gender and interests of the child that would use the item.

Define: They needed to outline what the interests of this intended audience would include. What would they need? What do they enjoy? What safety issues are there? What problem might there be designing for this audience?

Ideate: In this stage they generated ideas for their objects. Here they needed to be imaginative and generate solution concepts. Students needed to push for the widest possible range of ideas to select from, not just find a single best idea.

Protype: Here the students began building using the online 3D design program ‘Design 123’. They decided on which idea they would investigate. They used the tools in the program to start shaping their model of this idea. 

Test: This involved students in the class giving each other feedback and choosing from the most suitable designs for 3D printing. Which designs were usable, authentic and had purpose?

Here are some of the results…..

shkyiah

An Earphones stand by Shyikiah . Just wrap your earphones around the ears and hand the ear piece in the top.

shreya

A caterpillar pen holder. Place your pens in the holes in the bodyparts of the caterpillar. By Shreya.

tom-texta-holder-spaceship

Rocket-ship pencil holder by Tom, Grade 5 Hunt.seth

Dinosaur by Seth, Grade 5 Edwardsnim-boat-2

Boat by Nim, Grade 5 Huntdavid

Rocket-ship pencil container by David, Grade 5 Huntbriannas-and-lillys-tree

Hat stand by Lily and Breanna, Grade 5 Delaurieraidan-original-design

Students please reflect on the following:

How did the ‘Design Thinking Process’ help you achieve your goals for your design?

What challenges did you face?

List ways in which your design is useful and original and Explain how your design is unique.

on “Grade 5 Students Work Through The ‘Design Thinking Process’
12 Comments on “Grade 5 Students Work Through The ‘Design Thinking Process’
  1. The “Design Thinking Process” helped me create a useful item in the classroom, it took me step by step in creating my Object.
    I was still learning at the time of creating my object so most of the tools in 123Design I didn’t know how to use. The most difficult part was not having a mouse the mouse pad didn’t work.
    My Design was a White Board or Blackboard Market Holder it Hold your White Board or Black Boards markers it saves room and it’s easy to access.

2. HOW DID THE ‘DESIGN THINKING PROCESS’ HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS FOR YOUR DESIGN?
    IT HELPED ME DECIDE ON WHAT I SHOULD DO AND IT HELPED ME SO I COULD GO BACK TO IT TO FIND THE WRITE CHOICE. IT ALSO HELPED ME THINK A BIT MORE INTO IT.
    WHAT CHALLENGES DID YOU FACE?
    I FACED LOTS OF CHALLENGES TO BE ABLE TO KEEP CALM WHEN THE APP DIDN’T WORK WITH ME.

LIST WAYS IN WHICH YOUR DESIGN IS USEFUL AND ORIGINAL AND EXPLAIN HOW YOUR DESIGN IS UNIQUE
    IT ORGANIZERS YOUr PENCILS
    IT ALSO HELPS YOUR DESK CLEAN

3. The design thinking process helped me beacuse i knew what to work on next.
    It was challenging trying to revolve the axis on the shape.
    Mine is usefull because it holds things and it is unique because it has donuts on it that you can draw on.

4. It was really interesting but it was hard to do a transformer toy. It was harder than I thought.
    Putting up the shape and drawing the shapes.
    It was hard but I was happy to face the challenge because i have never done that before.

5. At the start I thought it was impossible but now I learned how to use and I made a pencil holder. The challenges were when you had to shell it because it wouldn’t work and some of the tools didn’t make sense to me and putting it together. My deign was a pencil holder to keep your pencils neat.

6. 1.The design thinking process was very useful and it helped me get the idea of my design because before I used it my brain was empty but then I done the design thinking process and an idea came to my head.
    2.It was really hard one of the challenges was figuring out the size of my toy.
    3. My design was a jack in the box, it is good for little kids ages 4 under and it is a fun toy to play with.

7. HOW DID THE ‘DESIGN THINKING PROCESS’ HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS FOR YOUR DESIGN?
    It helped me by giving me steps so I knew on what to do.

WHAT CHALLENGES DID YOU FACE?
    The challenges that we faced where putting it all together so the pieces came together as one.

LIST WAYS IN WHICH YOUR DESIGN IS USEFUL AND ORIGINAL AND EXPLAIN HOW YOUR DESIGN IS UNIQUE.
    It is useful because it can hold a rubber and lots of pencils, it is unique because it would be used a lot.

8. The thinking part was hard because you’re like, what can I do thats not already done? I relized if I do a book stand but change the way you can use it. It was a goal for me to see it was good enough going to go in a competition.
    I had a challenge that was really hard, getting it different because you can relize that it has to be something that no one would think of.

My book stand is to help you organize for a test and have pencils in one bit and whatever else. I think no one would of thought of my design because its just too unique and you put extra hard work into something when you are making something new.

9. It helped us achieve our goals of making polylines splines and it taught us to revolve the shape to make it 360 degress and 3D.

The challanges we faced that it was hard to shell it after you revolve to make an object 360 degrees.

The design that was useful and original was my toy boat and Logan’s vase.

10. it helped because it gave us a good idea on what to do for the 3D printing.

some challenges we faced where trying to place things in the correct spot or the design would be wrong.

Our design is useful because it can hold your pencils and rubbers still for you.

11. It helped us think of what we should do so that the thing that we make is use full and so that we could use it in school.
    Making the horse shoe 3d and actually making the horse shoe shape.
    Easy to handle
    Easy to make
    Original
    Beautiful
    Something to do with horses

12. The thinking process helped us a lot to inspire our design.

Well Evelyn and I couldn’t find out how to group the objects so we just tried random buttons and then we got it and it was really easy.

Well our design is useful because kids in prep sometimes loose there hair ties and you need the stand to have the hair ties on. I think its unique because I have not seen it around.