The Row-Ellen Show by Grade 5

The Grade 5 students have been using Media to explore the concept of questioning. Questions help students clarify, wonder, predict, debate, reflect and analyse so there learning has greater meaning, purpose and understanding. By creating their own thought provoking questions, students are learning to build better skills in holding conversations, developing deeper thinking and engaging in reflection.

The Row-Ellen Show required students to look deeper into the personalities of fictional characters we all know through books or animated movies. In groups, students chose characters to focus on. Through ‘interviews’, they would would use Media to show more about the personality traits, the strengths/weaknesses or values upheld by their chosen characters.

We started by observing Ellen from The Ellen Show conduct interviews with familiar personalities. We looked at her questioning style, the purpose of her questions and the characteristics that made her successful at interviewing. We analysed question types such as, open, closed, rhetorical, recall, and funnelling questions.

The students were then required to develop a purpose for an interview with a certain character. Students said things such as:

• to find out if Willy Wonka would be happy to start a ‘healthy foods’ factory’
  • to find out if there is anything that would make superman cry
  • to find out how team work made a difference to Scooby Doo and the gang.
  • To find out suggestions Batman has to solving conflict, other than fighting
  • To find out what advise Cinderella would give to others feeling bullied
  • to find out when Captain America found mental strength was more important than physical strength.
  • To find out what friendship meant to Harry Potter through the challenges he faced.

From there, students needed to design questions that would help achieve the aim of their interview and would suit their interview goals.

Students please reflect on the following:

What do you think makes a successful interview?

Why is it important to design your questions for an interview?

Explain some question types you are familiar with.

Why would you say Ellen is a successful interviewer?

The Row-Ellen Show – Conducting Interviews by Grade 5 from Rowellyn Park PS Media Arts on Vimeo.

on “The Row-Ellen Show by Grade 5
12 Comments on “The Row-Ellen Show by Grade 5
  1. I think what makes a successful interview is having an enthusiastic interviewer and a fun topic or interesting topic.

It’s important to design your questions for an interview because you could forget what to say and you would need a lot of practise to remember questions.

Some of them are Recall questions, Rhetorical questions, Funnelling questions, Open questions and Closed questions.

2. I think you need to have a good objective and idea of what you want to get from the interview and find put in a show so that you can revolve your questions around it, this will help you cut to the chase. It is important to make a plan of questions so you are not going in circles. There are 5 distinct question types recall- requiring something to be remembered, this requires you to think deeply.

3. What makes a great interviewer is one that makes their audience interested and gets their attention like Ellen (who’s literally the only famous interviewer I know).
    You need to keep your audience awake and enjoying the show, so you need to make questions that no one really knows the answers already or talk about a thing that happened that might be unknown to an audience then give them or someone else a surprise. There’s different types question, there’s open, closed, recall, funnelling and rhetorical questions that most interviewers use in interviews they host. Ellen is probably the most successful interviewer I know and she’s friends with a lot of celebrities and companies out there and that’s a big achievement for anyone in the world. Plus making some challenges for people to win money and giving money to people that need it and have done something to earn it.

4. What do you think makes a successful interview?
    A good interview depends on questions and answers. The questions need to be one of the five different types (Recall, Rhetorical, Funnelling, Open or closed questions.) The answers need to be specific and detailed.
    Because if you have a question that doesn’t make sense, the interviewee must relate to what they know about it, in which may take them time to think about their answer. If you have an easy question like “what are your hobbies”, this question will take them nearly 10 or less seconds to answer.
    The main types of questions that I relate to are:
    Recall Questions, Funnelling Questions, Open Questions, Closed Question and Rhetorical Questions.
    She has a great sense of humour and can be known as a very friendly person and is also very fun to watch. Many people go onto her show to entertain, inform, persuade or even just to talk!

5. I think that a successful interview needs a confident interviewer who is confident enough to talk to anyone. I think that a successful interview needs a purpose or goal about the person to interview, otherwise it won’t be interesting, then no-one will watch it. One other important thing that makes an interview successful is the questions that you ask.
    You have to design your questions before an interview because if you don’t, you won’t know what to say, it will turn out as a terrible interview because you will keep mumbling and not knowing what to say. The questions have to have a purpose to them, otherwise it is just a conversation not an interview.
    I am familiar with these types of questions: recall questions, funnelling questions, open questions, rhetorical questions and closed questions.
    I think Ellen is successful because she makes her interview entertaining not just boring questions. She gives things away, which is also very nice.

6. Isabella

I think a successful interview depends on a confident interviewee and interviewer. I also think it depends on useful questions and important information. For example, if you just got random people who don’t know what they’re doing well, that isn’t worth watching. Is it? That depends on the interviewer and interviewee.
    I think it is important to design questions for an interview because first, if you don’t have questions well it isn’t an interview it is a conversation. I also think you should because than you are confident and you know what you are saying. I think that because if you don’t know what you’re saying like I said it is only a conversation.
    The main questions I am familiar with Recall Questions, Rhetorical Questions, Funnelling Questions, Open Questions and Closed Questions.
    I would say that because she is a very confident and hilarious interviewer. Another thing I like is she makes every question sound natural and by natural I mean it sound like she only came up with it that moment.

7. I think that a good interview takes lots of practise and being confident and loud voices. And not nervous and expressions also help.

It is important to design and questions because if you do it yourself at that moment without preparing you won’t be confident saying it out aloud at the time.

Ellen is a successful interviewer because she is confident and can get up in front of people without laughing.

8. A successful interview should always have the interviewer talk to the interviewee and the audience in about at 2-1 proportions and should always have pictures or videos in the background.
    It is important to design your questions so that you can go into another question after the interviewee like; Do you like dogs? Yes I do they are always fun and games! Do you have a dog? Yes. What is its name? Charlie and it’s a he.
    I am familiar with Rhetorical, Open and closed Question types.
    I think Ellen is successful because she interviews almost anyone with something interesting to tell about their story.

9. a good interview needs to entertain an audience.
    So you need to be prepared and ready to keep the questions going.
    I am familiar with rhetorical questions as a type of question. We tried to use this.
    Ellen is a good interviewer because she uses the right questions.

10. What do you think makes a successful interview?

Explain some question types you are familiar with?

11. I think something that makes a successful interviewer is if you do not laugh while asking a question and if you know your questions off by heart. It is important to design your questions for an interviewer so they have something to say all the time in case they run out of questions. Some question types that I am familiar with are open and closed.

12. A good interview is prepared.
    It is importent to set up your questions before so then you do not have parts were there is no one speaking and silences.
    Ellen is secsesfull because she is prepared and ready. She is also funny and has good questions.