‘If I Were Prime Minister For A Day’ By Grade 3

After our recent Federal election, the grade 3 students were involved in discussions about the role of governments and how it relates to their everyday lives. As part of studies on Civics and Citizenship, we brainstormed some of the services provided by the government and how they help us on a day-to-day basis. Some of the things students brought up included emergency services, libraries, parks, hospitals, schools, tree planting, animal welfare……. and the list went on. Students were asked to consider something they would like to see happen in their community to make it an even better place to live. They were asked to present ideas and suggestions for the government that would make life safer, healthier and happier for citizens. They asked themselves, “If I were Prime Minister for a day, I would…….”. Students used bLabberize.com to present their ideas.

Here’s what some students said:

‘If I were Prime Minister for a day….’ by Grade 3 from Rowellyn Park PS Media Arts on Vimeo.

‘If I were Prime Minister for a day….’ By Grade 3 from Rowellyn Park PS Media Arts on Vimeo.

Students please reflect on the following:

Why do you think we have a government and what are some of the roles in the government?

How does a government make final decisions about issues?

What are some of the services provided by the government that make our life easier?

What are some issues that are important to you that the government should think about to make our lives even better?

on “‘If I Were Prime Minister For A Day’ By Grade 3
29 Comments on “‘If I Were Prime Minister For A Day’ By Grade 3
  1. 1.We have a govenment so they can take care of our community, cities and our enviornment and our country.
    2.They get money from taxes so they can give us services.
    3.The government makes decisions by gathering around a table with the Prime Minister and all the other ministers and they make votes. Whatever decisons have the most votes win.
    4. They provided police, ambulance,fire trucks,heath care and ect.
    5. Giving army and navy more mony for more training so they can protect our country better.

2. I think we have the government because they make laws that protect us and gives us new roads and things.
    The role of the government are to plan buildings for the city, protect the people, and make speeches. They speak for us!

They fix issues by deciding for the people what they should do and what the don’t do.

Medicare, doctors , roads , shopping centres are some government services.

3. I think there is a government so we can be in a world that tries to fix bad things. They make hospitals .
    They make people go to court if they break the law .
    The make some places for the older people to go if they can’t look after themselves.

4. I think we have the government so we know where to build things like houses. The government’s role is to tell builders what and where to build things. The government makes final decisions about the law. The government provides hospitals, churches and roads.

• We have a government because they help our economy. They vote by going around a table. They provide us with police stations, fire stations etc. I think they need more hospitals closer to us.

5. 1. Have more safe roads and bridges.
    2. Build the bus stations much stronger so kids can’t smash the glass.
    3. Make schools and kindergartens much more fun so kids enjoy it more.
    4. Build more law courts so everyone that is naughty can go to law courts all around the world.
    5. Make more playgrounds but much safer instead of a big bar ontop of the slide, Skate Parks with foam pits so kids can do flips and land in the foam pit, Drink taps of course if people get thirsty and more playing fields so kids/teenagers/adults can play footbal and stuff like that.
    6. Build more public houses so poor people/kids can live in them.
    7. Build more learning places like science works to help interest and excite children and libraries to help children read
    8. Help doctors and nurses to have more money by making more places to run for cancer people.

6. Why do you think we have a government and what are some of the roles in the government?
    The government keeps our country clean and safe from dangers. Some of the roles are: keeping our economy good and making choices to build it stronger.
    __________________________________________________
    They have a vote and the decision with the most votes win.

7. Why do think we have a government and what are some of the roles in the government?
    To keep people safe in the country and to keep them alive.
    They decide the things that happen with a vote.

8. WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ROLES IN THE GOVERNMENT?
    1.to keep us save and make sure there is money for food and stuff
    HOW DOES A GOVERNMENT MAKE FINAL DECISIONS ABOUT ISSUES?
    2.They sit at a table and have a debate and which ever decisions gets the votes wins.

9. 1.We have a Government to take care of our environment, community & our country!
    2. They get money from taxes so they can give us services!

10. 1 i think we have the govenment so we can have clean communities because they grab the rubbish bins.
    2 Thay get money from taxes and give us services like roads and schools.

11. We need a government for a reason because without one our country would have people fighting, no laws, bad stuff happening and we would have VERY poor people!

12. 1. There are a lot of roles as being a prime minister like making laws, making our city awesome, etc.

2.Ministers make a vote so that they know what they are going to do. If the subject does not win the vote they don’t get done.

3.Governements make public transport, • Public Schools
    • The police department
    • Law courts where people go if they break the law
    • Parks, playgrounds and reserves in the community
    • Army and the navy to protect our country
    • Public houses
    • Galleries and museums like Science works, The Art Gallery etc.
    • Doctors fees with Medicare
    • Public Buildings like Fed square and community centres
    • Libraries
    • Plant trees where they’re needed
    • Supply bins and they pick up rubbish with garbage trucks
    • Aged care so that old people can be looked after
    • Sports stadiums like MCG
    • Animal welfare
    • Hospitals
    • They make roads, bridges and car parks
    • Fire stations

4.I think that the prime ministers should make more libraries and more

13. We have the government to protect our country. They sit down at a table and they vote.The government makes the laws. I think the government should make more public homes for people who don’t have that much money.

14. WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE ROLES IN THE GOVERNMENT?

I think we have a government because it keeps our country safe.

The prime minister and the ministers sit around a table and vote yes or no.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE GOVERNMENT THAT MAKE OUR LIFE EASIER?

The ministers makes decisions about public transport.

WHAT ARE SOME ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU THAT THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD THINK ABOUT TO MAKE OUR LIVES EVEN BETTER?

The prime minister should make more parks and vets and not so much technology.

15. 1. We have a government to make our countrey a better place and one of the roles is that you are not aloud to carry guns in Australia.
    2. The government make final decisions in parliament with other ministers.
    3. The government provides police, hospitals and fire brigade around the country.
    4. The government should make more public houses.

16. i think there is a goverment to protect Australia and make sure it is safe. I think one of the roles of the government is to make money for people to use.

17. The government runs
    salvation army
    police
    hospitals
    prisons
    S.E.S.
    fire brigade
    pubic transport
    medicare
    doctors fee’s
    sport stadiums
    pet well fair
    Law courts where people go if they break the law
    Parks, playgrounds and reserves in the community
    Army and the navy to protect our country