Grade 3 Connections With Korea

After completing their ‘I Am From’ poems, Grade 3 students proudly shared their work with Jungkwan Elementary School in South Korea. We connected using our Polycom board and each grade connected with their own partnered grade. The collaboration was a success for both sides. Korean students were able to practise their English, and Rowellyn students discovered new things about Korean culture; such as food they eat, their traditional costumes, instruments that are typical of Korean music and native Korean animals.

The Korean students performed a song for Rowellyn students using their traditional instrument called the Ocarina. They had students wearing traditional costumes to show us and they demonstrated a typical Korean game called Jack  Stones. They also played a game with us that is usually played during Korean first birthday celebrations called The Fortune Telling Ritual.

The connections were very informative and a lot of fun. It was a wonderful experience for students as they shared their work globally and interacted with students across the world.

IMG_1458  IMG_1475 IMG_1483IMG_1394 IMG_1403  IMG_1413

Students please reflect on the following……

How would you compare Korean life with Australian life?(what are some similarities and differences?)

How did you feel about speaking with students so far away? What was the experience like for you?

Use Google maps to find the city Busan, Korea (the city where Jungwkan Elementary school is located). How would you describe it?

If we send a ‘Thank You’ box of goodies to Jungkwan, what do you think we should include in the box?

on “Grade 3 Connections With Korea
19 Comments on “Grade 3 Connections With Korea
  1. How did you feel about speaking with students so far away?
    I felt so nervous that it felt like my tummy was inside out. I have never talked to strangers before but this time the more I talked the more confidence I built.
    I was very excited but also a little nerves and it was very fun!!!!

2. Most of them live in apartments and we live in homes. Most of the people have black hair and we have brown black blonde. We learn English and they learn English. We both have computers. I felt excited but nervous at the same time. We got to learn more about Korea. It was busy and it had lots of traffic and in the elementary school jungwkan it had lots of children. If we were to send a box of goodies we should send a dot painting ,vegemite, key ring with a boomerang.

3. They live in more apartment buildings.
    We live more houses then apartments.
    They have heaps more cars than us.

I felt excited and nervous at the same time because it was our first time.
    I felt happy and brave at the same time.

So many students, and teachers, and lots and lots of floors and its really BIG!!!

I think we should give them some of our Australian wattle.
    I Think we should give them a boomerang and a plush koala and kangaroo and emu.

4. Korea has a lot of cars just like us.
    Australia has koalas but Korea has not.

I felt very excited and brave! I have seen strangers on a TV just like a Polly com.it was so fun.

The school is very tall and red like bricks. There are a lots of stairs from the 3rd floor

I would give them a stuffed koala, vegemite and a stuffed kangaroo.

5. Korean people look more busy because the city was bigger.
    I was excited because it was my first time talking to Korean kids.
    It looked busy because the city was huge.
    We could send some Dot painting.

6. 1. How would you compare Korean life with Australian life? (what are some similarities and differences?)
    There is a lot of difference between Korea and Australia, Korea has lots of apartments where as Australia has more houses.

2. How did you feel about speaking with students so far away? What was the experience like for you?
    It was very exciting I was very interested in their culture.
    3. Use Google maps to find the city Busan, Korea (the city where Jungwkan Elementary school is located). How would you describe it?
    Jungkwans city Busan is very fast, its small that is why they have apartments it also looks very hot.

4. If we send a ‘Thank You’ box of goodies to Jungkwan, what do you think we should include in the box?
    I believe we should send CDs to Korea like maybe didgeridoo music, I think they will like it.

7. How would you compare Korean life with Australian life?
    I would compare Australian life to Korean life Australian is we have houses and Korean people live in apartments. But Korea people have different foods they mostly eat rice with meat and vegetables. The Korean people said that their life is very fast but Australia they said they think it is peaceful.
    I was very exiting but I was a little bit scary but in the end it was really fun and turned out to be quit a nice day. It was pretty cool to see people that far away I was really good time I will never forget.
    Use Google maps to find the city Busan, Korea how would you describe it?
    It really does look fast and so many cars and trains and buses it looks awesome.
    We should include some Australian songs and stuffed Australian animals vegemite lamingtons and tim tams.

8. How would you compare Korean Life to Australia?
    Well Korean life has less people living in house and more apartments but on the other hand Australia people live more in house and not a lot in apartments. Korea has a “The Fortune Telling Ritual” and Australia life does not! Korean life is very fast and Australia life is very peaceful!

Well when I first heard that we were connecting with Jungwkan Elementary School I was scared but on the day I was confident, then when we were connecting I just sat up tall and sat still!

Busan is a lovely place, there is a lot of beach’s Jungkwan is big, Its very beautiful lovely house’s!

9. I think that a difference is that Australia has more can so can have more houses. Korea is a fast place and Australia is not as fast so Australia is quiet and peaceful.

I felt kind of scared to talk to students in Korea.

Korea has a lot of cars and boats.

10. Korean is a fast place and Australia is a peaceful place. It was scary when it is your first time when you speak in front of them!!!!!!!

11. Australian life is very calm and Korean life is very fast. Korean life has lots of cars at night and morning. In Korea it gets very hot.

I was a bit nervous when I first spoke to the Korean school but after I was confident and then I spoke very clearly when I was nervous I was a bit hot.

Korean elementary school is in Busan. Busan is a very big city it has lots of big city’s it has a sea where there are lots boats. It is very fun to live apartments. There only a few houses in Korea there not that much houses in Korea because it takes a lot of room so that’s why they have apartments.

I think we should give them Australian stuffed toys, vegemite and some Australian lollies.

12. 1. Korean people live in apartments and only one person in the Korean class lived in a house. Korean life is very fast they call Australian life peaceful. What I think is similar about Korean life compared to Australian life is the beaches.

2. I felt really scared before we talked to them but when we did I thought it was fun.

3. Jungwan elementary school is in Busan, Busan is very busy. It has a lot of bridges. There are a lot of cars and boats it also has a lot of people, there is a lot of apartments were people live in. Only a few people live in houses.

13. How would you compare Korean life with Australian life?
    Korean people have life that goes fast, we have slow and peaceful
    How did you feel about speaking with students so far away?
    It was cool meeting Korean people, when I had to ask them a question I got a bit nervous.
    How would you describe the city?
    Lots of buildings and apartments that are SUPER big.
    Australian food like Tim tams or vegemite and Australian stuffed animals.

14. 1.Jungwkan said their life is called fast, fast life and Jungwkan said Australian life is quiet and peaceful. Jungwkan has lots of beaches and have lots buildings like Australia.

2. When I spoke to the Korean students, I was excited and nervous at the same time! It was very nice speaking to them!

3. Busan is very nice and does have lots beaches! There is lots and lots of transport!!!

15. AUSTRALIAN LIFE IS VERY SLOW AND THE KOREAN CITY IS VERY FAST. MOST PEOPLE HAVE APARTMENTS AND ONLY SOME HAVE BIG BACKYARDS AND AUSTRALIA HOMES USUALLY HAVE BACKYARDS.

16. 1. KOREAN people have a lot of different foods.
    2. It was a tough thing to do getting up and speaking to people a long way away, but I think but I could handle it.

17. Our life is a lot slower and peaceful but theirs is a lot faster and they have apartments because they do not have a lot of room in their country.

18. In grade 3 it was really fun learning about Korea and all the stuff that they do. and that they don’t have proper backyards. THANKS FOR LETTING US LEARN ABOUT KOREA.